Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Showing God's love

We talked about service yesterday at our women's ministry lunch. We agree "service," or ministry, or reaching out to others, is a good thing, something that should be part of our Christian life. As I considered how to get others on board with this idea of service, I took a quick look to see what Jesus said about it.

"Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends. you are my friends if you do what I command. I no longer call you servants, becasue a servant does not know his master's business. Instead I have called you friends, for everything that I learned form my Father I have made known to you." John 15:13-15

We serve because we are His friends, because we want to, not out of bondage as a servant. Our master's business is to love people, and to draw all men to Himself, and we can help Him in His business as we reach out to others. We show God's love as we serve, because our service does not look like what the world has to offer.

Hopefully, these ideas will make it easier as we embark on a lifestyle of service in our local church community.

2 comments:

jpierce said...

Hi Tracie,
I believe that we have to live our life in God from a foundation of service. God entrusted us with gifts and out of our love and gratefulness we need to serve. My service may look completely different from another's, but it is a must. I think of the way children sometimes do their chores and realize that some of my service in the past has looked a little like that - steady plodding but with no real love undergirding it. I feel challenged to finish well with service out of a thankful heart as a life goal. Take a look at my blog: onehandfulofrice.org. Thanks, I enjoy reading your thoughts. Jan

theskett said...

I like your analogy of children learning to serve... in the beginning they do it out of a sense of duty, and as they grow, we hope they come to the place of doing it out of love and gratitude, with a willing heart.